World Cup Madness
If soccer was always as exciting as the World Cup Finals, I'd buy season tickets to D.C. United. Of course, I watch baseball, so I can't complain about slow-moving and often boring games. No one in my town played soccer growing up (our school didn't even have a team until my little sister was in high school) and so the sport has never really tripped my trigger. However, my friend Jim is a huge fan (he just returned from two weeks in Germany) and would make me watch TiVo-ed games. FYI, this is the way to go. You get to see all the action (in slow motion if necessary) and skip over all of the running back and forth.
Jim's enthusiasm wore off on me and I found myself watching some foreign-language channel on Sunday afternoons that would have international matches (it didn't have anything to do with the fact that I only get four other channels). I couldn't understand the commentators, but that didn't bother me ... I mean one gets rather desperate waiting for football season.
Thus, I caught a couple of the World Cup games and certainly rooted for the US. When Molly (BFF) invited me to New York with her family to watch the finals I jumped at the chance to spend time with her (and her family) and knew I'd enjoy the event. Who knew it would be so exciting? The penalty kicks, the head butts, the hot Italian men ... Even better, we were watching the game in Hoboken, NJ (across the river from Manhattan), which in case you didn't know is very Italian. After the game, the streets were crammed with people hanging out windows and sunroofs, waving flags. Fascinating.
Manhattan skyline from Hoboken river walk.

Molly, Me, and Manhattan.

The streets of Hoboken post-World Cup.
If soccer was always as exciting as the World Cup Finals, I'd buy season tickets to D.C. United. Of course, I watch baseball, so I can't complain about slow-moving and often boring games. No one in my town played soccer growing up (our school didn't even have a team until my little sister was in high school) and so the sport has never really tripped my trigger. However, my friend Jim is a huge fan (he just returned from two weeks in Germany) and would make me watch TiVo-ed games. FYI, this is the way to go. You get to see all the action (in slow motion if necessary) and skip over all of the running back and forth.
Jim's enthusiasm wore off on me and I found myself watching some foreign-language channel on Sunday afternoons that would have international matches (it didn't have anything to do with the fact that I only get four other channels). I couldn't understand the commentators, but that didn't bother me ... I mean one gets rather desperate waiting for football season.
Thus, I caught a couple of the World Cup games and certainly rooted for the US. When Molly (BFF) invited me to New York with her family to watch the finals I jumped at the chance to spend time with her (and her family) and knew I'd enjoy the event. Who knew it would be so exciting? The penalty kicks, the head butts, the hot Italian men ... Even better, we were watching the game in Hoboken, NJ (across the river from Manhattan), which in case you didn't know is very Italian. After the game, the streets were crammed with people hanging out windows and sunroofs, waving flags. Fascinating.
Manhattan skyline from Hoboken river walk.

Molly, Me, and Manhattan.

The streets of Hoboken post-World Cup.


1 Comments:
At 3:22 PM,
crazykarl7 said…
My new fighting method of choice is a headbutt to the sternum. I just have to make sure I hit a soccer player with it so he'll flop to the ground. :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home