The Anniversary
Well, by Dave's counting, Tuesday was our six-month anniversary. By my counting, it is next Monday. So we settled on celebrating last night. In similar fashion to my Valentine's Day invitation, I received an eVite letting me know that we were having dinner at the Melting Pot.
The first sweet thing Dave did was changing his clothes. Normally, this is would not be as endearing b/c he often changes out of his suit (which he looks extremely dapper in) and into his "World's Greatest Uncle" sweatshirt and track pants (not begrudging his greatest-uncleness ... just the sweatshirt :). I happened to see him a little bit before we left and his dress shirt and suit pants were horribly wrinkled from traveling and such. But for dinner he changed into a fresh shirt and pants. I know it sounds silly ... but it is the effort that matters. He thought ahead to dress in a manner I would find attractive (not that I don't find him attractive in his sweatshirt, b/c trust me, I DO :), but I appreciate that.
On the way to dinner, Dave presented me with this little bear from his trip to Nashville. If you can't tell, his t-shirt says "Snuggle With Someone From Vanderbilt." And I do ... and he's a bear ... so it is appropriate on a number of levels. Oh, and he also gave me a bar of dark Godiva chocolate (my favorite). I was in heaven and we weren't even at dinner, yet.
So we walked into the Melting Pot and it was pretty empty. He walked up to the host and gave his name for our reservation. I thought to myself "it doesn't look very crowded, you probably didn't need a reservation on a Wednesday night at 6:30 p.m. ... but I'm actually rather impressed that he thought ahead to make one." (Again, appreciating the thought that went in to planning. You'll notice even the conversations in my head are long. :) Boy was I selling him short. They take us to this corner booth that is in a little cut-away (v. secluded) where there are BALLOONS at the table! One mylar w/ the Melting Pot logo on one side and "Happy Anniversary" on the other, and three latex (ha, I said "latex") balloons. AND they took a picture of us at dinner, printed it out, and had it in a little Melting Pot frame as a memento. It was all so wonderful. And the food was fabulous (I think Dave was able to enjoy it a little more than the first time we went, which was New Years Eve and he was so sick). It was also nice to just get to spend some time together since I had been out of town for the holiday, then he was out of town for work.
My favorite part of the whole evening, though, was when he said grace. I so appreciate that little time of prayer we share before each meal ... but last night was extra-special. Dave offered thanks for our safe travels, and the meal, and then for our relationship ... for the past six months. As many of you know, there have been some rough patches, including some concern about the six-month mark itself. So it made me that much more thankful to be sitting next to him in that booth, holding his hand, hearing him pray for our relationship. It meant a lot.
The evening was complete with a viewing of Somewhere in Time. For those who know Dave, you are aware of his somewhat disturbing fascination w/ this movie ... so it was about time I saw it. I'm fundamentally opposed to romance stories involving time-travel, but it was worth watching for the monologue Jane Seymour gives:
Wow. I love the line "Forgive me, I've never know this feeling ... Is it any wonder then I fail to recognize?" It makes me think about how when we were younger, love in relationships seemed so simple. So easy to give and receive ... to fall in and out of. Yet in hindsight, was that even really love? As an adult, what would love look like? Would I recognize it since it has been so long? More importantly, do I know what it must look like to be worthy of my heart in return?
I know men complain that women have inflated expectations and a distorted view of romance because of smut novels and sappy romantic movies. However, I think there are many women who err on the opposite side and settle of less than they deserve b/c they would rather be with someone than be alone. That breaks my heart. My friend Molly said that you need to be with someone who respects and adores you. Adoration is something many of us struggle to accept, much less expect ... yet we should. Molly said that was what she loved about her parent's relationship, the way her dad adores her mother. Molly is very wise. :) It isn't that couples don't fight or have disagreements, or even not want to be around each other sometimes ... but at the end of the day there is no one they would rather share it all with. I am always amazed watching my own parents and how the are such good friends. After 30+ years of marriage, they still think the other is the "bees knees."
Another beautiful aspect of the movie was the location. The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island looks just like it did in the movie (and when it was built in 1887). I want to visit ... they even have a Somewhere In Time weekend! Oh, and the movie has its own dedicated fan club, reported:
Thanks for the wonderful anniversary, Dave.
Well, by Dave's counting, Tuesday was our six-month anniversary. By my counting, it is next Monday. So we settled on celebrating last night. In similar fashion to my Valentine's Day invitation, I received an eVite letting me know that we were having dinner at the Melting Pot.The first sweet thing Dave did was changing his clothes. Normally, this is would not be as endearing b/c he often changes out of his suit (which he looks extremely dapper in) and into his "World's Greatest Uncle" sweatshirt and track pants (not begrudging his greatest-uncleness ... just the sweatshirt :). I happened to see him a little bit before we left and his dress shirt and suit pants were horribly wrinkled from traveling and such. But for dinner he changed into a fresh shirt and pants. I know it sounds silly ... but it is the effort that matters. He thought ahead to dress in a manner I would find attractive (not that I don't find him attractive in his sweatshirt, b/c trust me, I DO :), but I appreciate that.
On the way to dinner, Dave presented me with this little bear from his trip to Nashville. If you can't tell, his t-shirt says "Snuggle With Someone From Vanderbilt." And I do ... and he's a bear ... so it is appropriate on a number of levels. Oh, and he also gave me a bar of dark Godiva chocolate (my favorite). I was in heaven and we weren't even at dinner, yet.
So we walked into the Melting Pot and it was pretty empty. He walked up to the host and gave his name for our reservation. I thought to myself "it doesn't look very crowded, you probably didn't need a reservation on a Wednesday night at 6:30 p.m. ... but I'm actually rather impressed that he thought ahead to make one." (Again, appreciating the thought that went in to planning. You'll notice even the conversations in my head are long. :) Boy was I selling him short. They take us to this corner booth that is in a little cut-away (v. secluded) where there are BALLOONS at the table! One mylar w/ the Melting Pot logo on one side and "Happy Anniversary" on the other, and three latex (ha, I said "latex") balloons. AND they took a picture of us at dinner, printed it out, and had it in a little Melting Pot frame as a memento. It was all so wonderful. And the food was fabulous (I think Dave was able to enjoy it a little more than the first time we went, which was New Years Eve and he was so sick). It was also nice to just get to spend some time together since I had been out of town for the holiday, then he was out of town for work.
My favorite part of the whole evening, though, was when he said grace. I so appreciate that little time of prayer we share before each meal ... but last night was extra-special. Dave offered thanks for our safe travels, and the meal, and then for our relationship ... for the past six months. As many of you know, there have been some rough patches, including some concern about the six-month mark itself. So it made me that much more thankful to be sitting next to him in that booth, holding his hand, hearing him pray for our relationship. It meant a lot.
The evening was complete with a viewing of Somewhere in Time. For those who know Dave, you are aware of his somewhat disturbing fascination w/ this movie ... so it was about time I saw it. I'm fundamentally opposed to romance stories involving time-travel, but it was worth watching for the monologue Jane Seymour gives:
Elise: The man of my dreams is almost faded, now.
The one I have created in my mind. The sort of man, each woman dreams of in the most secret and deepest part of her heart.
I could almost see him now before me. What would I say to him if he were really here?
Forgive me, I've never known this feeling. I've lived without it all my life. Is it any wonder then I fail to recognize? You brought it to me for the first time. Is there anyway I can tell you how my life has change? Anyway at all, to let you know what sweetness you have given me? There's so much to say...And I can't find the words except for these...I love you.
That is what I say to him if he were really here.
Wow. I love the line "Forgive me, I've never know this feeling ... Is it any wonder then I fail to recognize?" It makes me think about how when we were younger, love in relationships seemed so simple. So easy to give and receive ... to fall in and out of. Yet in hindsight, was that even really love? As an adult, what would love look like? Would I recognize it since it has been so long? More importantly, do I know what it must look like to be worthy of my heart in return?
I know men complain that women have inflated expectations and a distorted view of romance because of smut novels and sappy romantic movies. However, I think there are many women who err on the opposite side and settle of less than they deserve b/c they would rather be with someone than be alone. That breaks my heart. My friend Molly said that you need to be with someone who respects and adores you. Adoration is something many of us struggle to accept, much less expect ... yet we should. Molly said that was what she loved about her parent's relationship, the way her dad adores her mother. Molly is very wise. :) It isn't that couples don't fight or have disagreements, or even not want to be around each other sometimes ... but at the end of the day there is no one they would rather share it all with. I am always amazed watching my own parents and how the are such good friends. After 30+ years of marriage, they still think the other is the "bees knees."
Another beautiful aspect of the movie was the location. The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island looks just like it did in the movie (and when it was built in 1887). I want to visit ... they even have a Somewhere In Time weekend! Oh, and the movie has its own dedicated fan club, reported:
Of all the movies ever made though, it is one of only two that has a fan club dedicated to its preservation and enjoyment. The fan club, which is known as INSITE (for International Network of Somewhere In Time Enthusiasts) publishes an extremely high quality quarterly journal and holds several events during the year to commemorate the members' love for the movie and its cast.I haven't been able to prove it yet, but I'm pretty sure James (Dave's partner-in-crime) is a member :)
Thanks for the wonderful anniversary, Dave.


3 Comments:
At 8:30 PM,
crazykarl7 said…
atta boy Dave!
At 9:29 AM,
Anonymous said…
I'm glad he was spooning with someone other than James while he was watching Somewhere in Time.
At 3:27 PM,
Anonymous said…
wise? wow. i never knew you thought such things! ;) I do know this...I adore you! every single bit. and Dave - very nice.
now when do i get to hang out with you two again?
Post a Comment
<< Home